Last Updated on March 14, 2021 by admin
One of the bigger names in veganism is Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He’s a celebrity doctor who was once a figure skater for the US World Figure Skating Team back in the 1970s. He competed vigorously until a career-ending injury sidelined him. The alternative medicinal treatments he relied on, according to Fuhrman himself, helped him get back on his feet.
Fuhrman decided a career change was necessary, and so he got into medicine to help others in situations like what he went through. He also began advocating for alleviating chronic disease and obesity via nutritarianism. He believes that, through a combination of cooked and raw vegetables, it’s possible to achieve greater health. Fuhrman also created an Aggregate Nutrient Density Index, (ANDI SCORE) where foods are classified based on their micronutrients. Whole Foods adopted this index not too long after.
He’s published a slew of books over his long and illustrious career, including:
- 1995’s Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor’s Program for Conquering Disease
- 2003’s Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
- 2005’s Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right
- 2008’s Eat for Health; Lose Weight, Keep it Off, Look Younger, Live Longer
- 2008’s Eat Right America Food Scoring Guide
- 2010’s Nutritarian Handbook and ANDI Food Scoring Guide
- 2011’s Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
- 2012’s The End of Diabetes
- 2013’s Eat to Live Cookbook: 200 Delicious Nutrient-Rich Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health
- 2014’s The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life
- 2016’s The End of Heart Disease: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- 2017’s Fast Food Genocide: How Processed Food Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
- 2017’s Eat to Live Quickly and Easy Cookbook: 131 Delicious Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health
His 2003 book, Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, experienced the most success. It spent 90 weeks atop the Advice & Misc. list as well as skyrocketing to the top of the New York Times bestseller list.